Thursday, October 27, 2022

How I Eat to Stay Fit and Healthy

Healthy eating will differ per person. In fact, we may eat and exercise exactly the same and all of us would look completely different. This is the beauty of body diversity and the reality of life.

This is also why fitness is not universal and diets don't work. A few things like genetics, metabolic function, medical conditions, and medications need to be considered for overall health and body composition.

That said, the way I eat and exercise may work for me, but may not work for you. However, I am willing to share a few things about myself and my daily food intake.

About Me

I am over 55, a fitness professional, a blogger, and a freelance writer who works extremely long hours. My day doesn't end when I step out of my studio. I look the way I do because of my daily choices. 

I don't spend hours in the gym. I limit my workouts to one-hour sessions 4 to 5 days per week. I indulge in treats on occasion and eat incredible-tasting healthy food.

I am a woman of God and my faith helps me with inner strength and getting through each day. I am passionate about helping people get healthy and feel honored to be in the position to do this every day. I believe life is a gift and I am not here to be anyone else or look like anyone else. I am also not here to shame others for not looking like a fitness model. 

My goal is to do my best each day and in that, I may fall but pick myself up and keep trying. My life example is to show that it's never too late, no circumstance too hard, and even injury so severe to not be able to do something. 

Fitness is a journey where we are all works in progress striving to be our best and never perfect. This includes loving who you are now while you work on self-improvement. It also means living today and making choices that will bring you closer to the person you want to be. And through this process being aware of what you're thinking about yourself and how you're treating yourself - is it creating a better, healthier you?

Healthy Eating

I like to teach nutrition simply and focus on health. There's nothing secret or costly about eating for fitness goals. Sadly, too much complication has been placed on this topic. Food fears and guilt have been created through unrealistic marketing.

Let's all just take a deep breath and relax about eating healthy. Removing the stress surrounding food is the first order of business. Healthy food is not the enemy and isn't the blame for your inability to lose weight. Eating the right food in appropriate amounts is what will enable your body to be fit, healthy, and strong.  

Forget about diets and simply apply the best principles of healthy nutrition and fitness each day. And this will include eating foods not considered healthy on occasion. You are creating a sustainable healthy nutrition program that is enjoyable. Not a life filled with food restrictions, rules, and stress. If any fitness professional tells you indulgence should never happen, that is unrealistic and a bunch of crap in my opinion.

I have been in the fitness industry for over 30 years and have had my share of burgers, fries, pizza, and brownies. I live a life of moderation and use a 90/10 percent eating strategy and sometimes 80/20 depending on the situation. Eating healthy is about balance and allowing for fun food experiences. 

Let's move on to what I eat during a typical work week. I'm a walk-the-talk trainer and adhere to what I teach my clients. Results come when consistent healthy food intake and exercise are happening.

I eat a wide variety of nutritious food from healthy carbohydrates, lean proteins, healthy fats, and lots of water. I can be a creature of habit and find myself eating the same meals every day, except for dinner which is typically changed each night.

I cook at home to be in control of what I eat. I eat simply, never count calories, and really try not to let myself feel hungry. I space my meals every 2 to 3 hours and that works for me. I use my palm as a guide for portion size and keep measuring cups handy for wet ingredients. I also eat a serving of dark chocolate daily.

Daily Nutrition:

A large glass of water
Dandy Blend herbal drink with creamer (I drink this instead of coffee)


Meal 1
No sugar fiber cereal with fruit and oat milk or bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter
Boiled egg

Meal 2
Turkey wrap or sandwich with sprouts, spinach, and avocado
I sometimes will drink a protein shake

Meal 3
Power bowl - quinoa, roasted veggies, potatoes, ground seasoned turkey breast

Meal 4
Banana with peanut butter or rolled deli turkey breast slices and string cheese

Meal 5
Grilled salmon with roasted veggies

I hope this information is helpful and provides a great foundation for reaching fitness goals with healthy nutrition.

Check out my recipe page for more meal ideas. 

Thanks for stopping by my Blog and don't forget to subscribe and never miss a free update.
  
LEAVE A COMMENT

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the share, always looking for new healthy recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, thanks for stopping by for a read and some motivation. Be well and Stay Healthy!

      Delete
  2. love your site and inspirational posts. I too am over 50 and have started my fitness journey. I have a long way to go to where I want to be, but I am farther along than I was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry and thanks for reading. Awesome and absolutely love your comment. Fitness is always about the process and progress. Be well and Stay Healthy!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for writing such helpful articles. I am on the journey but struggling with an eating disorder. I know God is helping me to overcome this slowly and things will get better. Be Blessed xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun and you are so welcome. So happy to hear you are taking steps to adopt a healthy lifestyle. God is great and also recommended is that you reach out to an expert in the field of eating disorders. Having a support system around you during this time can make a wonderful and positive difference in healing through this journey. One day at a time. Be well and Stay Healthy.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for being an inspiration. I count calories but sometimes overeat. My weight goal is 128.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. What we do consistently is what matters. I hope counting calories is a comfortable healthy lifestyle that is sustainable.

      Delete

Comments and Questions