Friday, September 17, 2021

I Don't Use Supplements or Believe in Fitness Gimmicks

Supplements can make false claims and outlandish guarantees. They are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) so there is no guarantee of the purity, effectiveness, or safety of the product.

Fake Fitness

Many supplements and products promise fitness in a bottle achieved in a short period of time. Other gimmicks like herbal abdominal wraps claim to shed fat off your belly with one application. I surely don't believe wrapping my midsection with herbs will reduce my waist size or taking pills will make me fit.

I guess you could call me highly skeptical when it comes to fitness gimmicks. I really have to believe in a product to endorse or promote it and this is a rare occasion.

Supplements Lack Clinical Research

Products guaranteeing increased fat burning, muscle size, and athletic performance receive a raised eyebrow in my opinion. Sadly, the majority lack adequate clinical studies so you're left in the dark regarding safety, purity, and effectiveness. Also, they can come with harmful side effects.

Don't Waste Your Money

The next time you pick up a bottle of fitness magic, take a close look at the label. You will find in the fine print the following statement: "results obtained when combined with a healthy diet and regular exercise program."

BAM! What is the point of wasting money? Once a healthy diet and exercise program are implemented results will follow without taking whatever is in that bottle. There is plenty of science to back up the health benefits of eating right and exercise.

A Personal Choice

Of course, any supplementation is a personal choice. I'm not a downer on all
things that could improve your health and wellness. In some instances, and if prescribed by a physician, supplements may be necessary for some people. For example, I take vitamin B12 daily for a deficiency.

I do indulge in the occasional protein shake, take probiotics, and use glucosamine for reduced joint pain. This is more for my general health and not something to enhance my appearance.

I don't believe drinking a protein shake is going to create muscle without work for example. If I feel cold symptoms coming on, I will take additional vitamin C and zinc to boost my immunity system. 

Eat Real Food Instead

The primary source of my nutrient intake comes from what I eat daily and not by using dietary supplements. Because I consume a wide variety of nutrient-dense foods, I feel confident my required daily allowances are being met. I fuel my workouts with healthy carbs, recover my body with lean proteins, and protect my cellular function with healthy fats.  

Protein Intake

I lift weights as part of my exercise program and don't feel I need an overabundance of protein to increase my lean muscle mass. I eat my share of chicken breast but stick to a regular portion size per meal.

I don't drink protein shakes each day thinking this is going to improve my body. Consuming too much protein overworks your organs, is hard to digest, and can potentially cause a constipation issue.

Eat For Goals

The demands I place on my body through exercise do require more calories obtained from all macronutrients. I simply focus on eating healthy several times per day to satisfy those needs. There is nothing magic about that and honestly, maintaining a healthy body is pretty simple. It just requires eating right and consistent exercise.

Thanks for stopping by my Blog. Don't forget to subscribe and never miss a free update.  
             
LEAVE A COMMENT


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and Questions